Thursday 5 December 2013

Single Father Associations of Trinidad and Tobago


Like everything in life, you'll find negatives and positives. I was determine  to not only speak about the negatives fathers there are in society, but also the positives one. My mission was to look for guys that have the same mindset I'll have when I become a father, further to that, I wanted local examples. Facebook is the place most people inclusive of myself now uses as a search engine. searching and searching I came across "Single Fathers Association of Trinidad & Tobago", this group peaked my interest for more reasons than one.

 Being a single parent does not always mean that the father or mother has abandoned their child. One can become a single parent due to the lost of a spouse, mental illness, migrate or the common know one abandonment. Finally, men for men, an organisation that stands and supports another brother, giving him guidance and advise on how to get through circumstances.

The group has 1772 members, "social media junkies" may say that's not a lot, to which I would agree to. However, 1772 active members in y opinion is better that 20,000 inactive ones.These guys  comments on relevant topics, give advise and share inspirational pictures even of their favourite moments being a single father. Usually when I hear "I grew up with a single parent" I automatically use to think that the person grew up with their mother. This group has changed my mindset, the association also share files that can help fathers legally, emotionally and also spiritually. The more I scrolled down the page, the more amuse I became.

One would usually see women having organisations and standing for each other, I felt proud to see men doing it as well. To me this organisation seemed like a home for single fathers to go, a counsellor he could talk to. Though the group is an open group, ones request must be confirmed by the administrator. At first I thought it was not as intimate, the on going conversation on a post between two dads changed my mind. To any single fathers reading this blog and not a member of this group, I'll advise you become one. A man is not an island, it is always a plus when going through a situation to have someone on your side that also went or is going through the same. To the single Fathers Association of Trinidad and Tobago, I salute you'll, we need more of you out here

2 comments: