Sunday 6 October 2013

Mummy Just Can't do it!

Mummy just can’t do it!



“Best yuh father did pull out and break in ah ants nest”, I once heard a mother told her child. And though I laughed at the time, age permitted me to understand what the child was being told. The child may not have understood, but cried because of the tone and context the line was used.
 Wikipedia states: Parenting is the process of promoting and supporting the physical, emotional, social, and intellectual development of a child from infancy to adulthood. It’s also the aspects of raising a child aside from the biological relationship.

Anyone can be a father; it however takes a true man to be a daddy. There’s a fame that some men gets when impregnate a woman. They tap their chest, “drink to that”, call up all their boys and tell them the good news that they’ll soon be god daddies. If parenting is what Wikipedia says it is, why is it, some mothers alone are seen at the clinic, at school PTA or even the ones to reassure the “I love yous”?

A classmate once made a “joke” with me and said, “I think you could be one of my sperm donors you know”. Though she reiterated that she was not serious and was only joking, there are a lot of other women with the same mindset. The reason for this is exactly my fore mentioned points. If she has to be there emotionally, intellectually, and physically, with the right job post she might as well be financially.

 The presence of fathers is vital in the upbringing of any child’s life. There are many mothers that play the role of both parents, and to them I applaud. However, when teenage year’s starts kicking in, and hormones starts acting up, there are just some conversations a boy may feel more comfortable speaking to his dad about. The sex talk, condom usage and the reason for a boner every morning are some I just never felt comfortable speaking with my mom about. The stage for riding a bike can cut off at age 16; the proper usage of condoms does not really have a cutoff date, hence the reason a boy needs his father but so too does a man.  






No comments:

Post a Comment